Event Management Courses
Event management can be regarded as the application of project management in the context of events, festivals, conferences and tournaments. It can involve every aspect of planning an entire event, including:
- technical aspects
- creative aspects
- providing support
- co-ordinating activities
- doing evaluation after the event
Event management is relevant in almost any field, and an event can be big or small. Types of events include things such as:
- product launches
- road shows
- sports tournaments
- fashion shows
What do Event Managers do?
Event managers can work in the public, private or non-profit sectors, and can be involved in managing a very wide variety of events, big or small.
This article gives you a glimpse into the daily life of a wedding co-ordinator!
Event managers can be responsible for managing every aspect of an event, or they can be tasked with assisting with particular aspects of an event. Some of the typical tasks that an event manager could be required to do include the following:
- Planning of each stage of an event
- Choosing a location
- Sourcing caterers and assisting with menu selection
- Organising music, sound, lighting and décor
- Liaising with potential suppliers as well as with the client
- Making sure that everything is done within the budget constraints
- Ensuring that health and safety standards are complied with
- Organising transport and ensuring that necessary security measures are in place
- Planning a schedule or agenda
- Providing the client with progress reports and making sure that the client’s expectations are met
- Making sure that everything runs smoothly on the day of the event
- Doing an evaluation after the event
Event managers need to be very good at interacting with people and need to have good communication skills. Other skills required for event management include:
- paying close attention to detail
- time management skills
- leadership skills
- financial skills
- being able to work under pressure
- being able to take the initiative
Why do a course in Event Management?
- Event management is a growing industry. Many companies are choosing to outsource the event management function due to the fact that it can be very time-consuming. Professional event managers are also likely to have the necessary contacts and expertise to ensure that an event runs smoothly and that costs are minimised.
- Event management can be both exciting and challenging.
- There is a demand for people with skills in event management.
- You can either work for an event management company, or you can work in-house for an organisation, or you can work as a freelancer.
- Event management provides you with an opportunity to explore your creative side.
What Event Management Courses can I study at College SA?
Have a look at the following options:
Events Management at College SA
Wedding Planning at College SA
To see their other courses, click here.